Uncashed Checks Issued by the Town of Littleton

Current law requires that municipal treasurers wait three years before an uncashed check may be deemed abandoned and start the process of reclaiming the funds.

MASS GENERAL LAW CHAPTER 200A SECTION 5: Subject to the provision of section one A, all intangible personal property not otherwise presumed to have been abandoned under any other section of this chapter, including but not limited to all certificates of ownership, dividends, stocks, bonds, money, drafts and claims for money and credit….shall be presumed abandoned unless claimed by the beneficiary or person entitled thereto within three years after the date prescribed for payment or delivery.

CHAPTER 200A SECTION 9A: On or before November first of each year the treasurer of any city or town holding checks issued by said city or town which have not been cashed and which are deemed abandoned under section five may issue a written determination that it is in the best interest of said city or town to follow the procedures set out in this section.

Checks issued by the Town of Littleton that remain un-cashed are subject to the following actions:

1. Letters are sent to named payees of un-cashed checks along with an acknowledgement form for claiming the funds.

2. For checks over $100.00 an advertisement is placed in the local newspaper.

3. An un-claimed check list is posted on the web-site.

4. Checks may be claimed up to one year after the date of advertisement or web posting.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. What if my name appears on the list, how do I claim my money?

If your name appears on the Town’s unclaimed check list you should contact the Treasurer’s Office at 978-540-2450 for more information.

2. What happens if no one claims a check?

Checks that remain unclaimed after all the necessary steps have been taken are returned to the Town’s general fund.

3. I received notice of an un-cashed check, what is it for?

Checks issued from the Town of Littleton could be refunds of overpayments of taxes, payment of an invoice or payroll checks. You should contact the Treasurer’s office for more information.



(Return to Treasurer's page)