Sign By-law Review Committee
Minutes and Agendas
Listing files in 'Sign By-law Review'
UPDATED - The Sign By-law Review Committee will present its report and recommendations at a joint meeting with the Board of Selectmen, Planning Board, and Zoning Board of Appeals on Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 7 PM in Room 103, Littleton Town Offices. Read the recommendations. See the PowerPoint presentation.
The Board of Selectmen had voted on July 14, 2008 to establish a seven-member Sign By-law Review Committee to be comprised of one member each from the Board of Selectmen, Planning Board, and Zoning Board of Appeals: and two citizens and two business owners. Review of the Town's sign by-law is one of the Selectmen’s goals for this year.
The Board of Selectmen has adopted the following charge for the Sign By-law Review Committee:
“To conduct a general review of the Town of Littleton’s sign by-law [Town Code §§173-34 to 173-41]; to review sign by-laws in other towns; to meet with the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Economic Development Steering Committee, zoning enforcement officer, and others as necessary, to craft recommendations that are consistent with the town character, ongoing planning efforts, and are practically enforceable; and to report back to the Board of Selectmen with a set of written recommendations by not later thanAugust 2, 2010.”
Summary of Sign By-law Review Committee's activities. Meetings began in October 2008:
- Discussed with town attorney issues of enforcement and grandfathering of non-conforming signs; consider changing to a general versus standard zoning by-law,
- Discussed concerns about Littleton's current signs and current by-law; especially concerned about town character;
- Explored which towns have more consistent signs that maintain town character;
- Detailed study of sign by-laws in other towns including Lexington, Marblehead, Northborough, Concord, Freeport, Winchester, and Longmeadow;
- Decided on Concord's general by-law as model for creating our new bylaw;
- Early advise received from Roland Bernier and Bill Farnsworth;
- Met with Assistant Attorney General, who will review our new by-law;
- Extensive digital library of signs throughout Littleton created for analysis;
- Discussions continue on the by-law document including - ease of use and understanding, sign responsibility, defining districts, creation of sign by-law enforcement committee, identifying best signs (dimensions, lighting, materials, colors, etc.);
- Created a survey for feedback from citizens about preferred signs; widely available soon;
- Expected completion of document by September 30, 2009.
||Board of Selectmen
||Zoning Board of Appeals
|Carla Smith Picariello