This house is located at 7 Rogers Street, next to the Unitarian Church. From 1929 until 1954 it housed the central telephone office. The operators, in addition to handling telephone calls, also functioned as dispatchers. When someone called about a fire they would blow the fire whistle to summon the firefighters. Also, when the police chief was needed they would turn on a red light at the Common and the chief would phone in when he saw the light.
Located at 35 Foster Street, Captain John Fox kept the tavern during the French and Indian War (1755 to 1763). During the Revolutionary War the tavern was the headquarters for the local minutemen. It is now a private residence.
This rebuilt shanty replicates the shanty that sheltered the gatekeeper as he waited to lower the gates for trains. He knew of their approach by signals from sensors located in the tracks. After the original shanty was torn down when the gates were automated, David Erickson, owner of the Depot, had the shanty rebuilt. John Peterson who lived on Harwood Avenue and visited the gatekeepers salvaged the door and chimney from the original shanty. These were used in the rebuilt one.
Reed Wood House
This house located at 20 Meetinghouse Road has been placed on the National Register for Historic Places. The Town's first meetinghouse was located across the street on the Common.
Although built elsewhere the house now stands at 280 King Street, Angry patriots fired a volley through the closed front door at Rev. Daniel Rogers, a Tory sympathizer. The door is on display at the Historical Society.